Saturday, April 6, 2013

Guilty Pleasure

 Here's my confession: when Clacie asked me to contribute to this blog I was reading a young adult (ya) novel.  I love ya lit.   I say it's because I teach teenagers, but even if I did not teach young adults I would read it.  We all have that book/genre that we love, but don't want anyone to know about.  For me that is ya lit.  It's a bit like potato chips or popcorn: it's light and you can eat the whole bag in one sitting.  
I thought I would put together a short list if you are interested in ya literature or you have a teenager in your house you wish would read more.  The following is in no particular order and if you have any suggestions on a good ya book let me know.
  1. Chris Crutcher- Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes was the first ya novel I remember reading and I was in college.  I now teach Deadline at the end of the year to juniors and seniors, but any of his books are a great read.
  2. Laurie Halse Anderson-Speak is probably one of her most famous novels, but she also does historical fiction like Chains.
  3. Markus Zusak- The Book Thief and I am the Messenger are excellent.  I don't want to give away anything.
  4. Joan Bauer- She reminds me a bit of Judy Blume.
  5. Sarah Dessen- If you like love, romance, and chick flicks check her out.
  6. Walter Dean Myers- If are looking for a male perspective than this is the author for you.  Topics like basketball in Slam and Hoops and a book from the perspective of a teenager in prison called Monster.
  7. John Greene- Looking for Alaska is one of my favorites, but I have never read a John Greene I didn't enjoy.  His latest book is The Fault in Our Stars.
  8. Sherman Alexie- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian is told from the point of view of a Native American teenager and made me laugh until I cried.
I'll stop here.  I was planning on only picking three but I just kept thinking of more that I just couldn't leave out and if I keep thinking about it this list will never end.
ENJOY!

Books, Baking & More!
    

1 comment:

  1. I second The Book Thief and I am the Messenger!

    ReplyDelete